Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Glimpse of Fibromyalgia*; and other silent illnesses*

May is Fibromyalgia Awareness month. 



I seem to have two unwanted cement blocks tightly against each temple of my face.  The pressure is so great, yet I am thankful it doesn't scrape my skin. There are drills on each side of my face, pointing toward my jaw joints. Every time I move, the drill automatically turn on, and make gaping holes in my joints. I try to escape, but I cannot unlock the heavy chains gripping my wrists. With any little movement, each cement block becomes tighter against my head, and the chains, wrapped around my wrists, rip the skin on which it sets.  
                                                           
My fingernails are ripped off, one by one; they bleed and scream out for help.
There is a huge granite rock laying heavily on the top of my head, that I cannot lift off. It causes great pressure beyond my control; I cannot move.
I try to straighten my back, but the rigged, metal plate against it, keeps me from doing so. My feet are tied together; they are useless when trying to travel to my social life. They can't even walk me out of this miserable pain, which has a hold of me daily.                                                  

Sweat drips off my brows causing my eyes to burn. I am unable to see well; everything is such a blur. Words, I have learned, were either erased or jumbled in my brain; things are so unclear and foggy.There seems to be no relief with this horrible life of pain. Bad reactions, tackle my stomach upon everything I consume.  My ears and head pounds with each sound that life makes. Nothing seems to help it; for life is never silenced, in my world.  The weight and heaviness of my legs, add to the turmoil in my body. They scream for mercy, but none is granted. They try to hold me up, but are unsuccessful. I am not comforted by the breeze that passes by. I wish all this pain would go away.                                                                                      
                                        
I cry out to Jesus, my Lord and Savior, to rescue me from all this haunting pain. He acknowledges me, and tells me that He understands how I feel. I look up with my weary eyes into the face of God; I am able to feel peace seep into my soul.The metal against my back grows cooler, soothing my aching body. I am comforted by the coolness of the cement, soothing some of the pain in my temples and face.                                                                                                                                      
Even though God hasn't take this pain away, I feel a little more strengthened. I am able to stand taller, straighten my posture, and keep on moving forward.  I am not out of this life of pain, although, I do feel a little more at ease.  I thank God for helping me as I endure this excruciating life of chronic pain.                                                


This Painting is dedicated to all those who suffer with Fibromyalgia, excruciating Chronic Pain, and any other silent illnesses.  It's especially dedicated to my old and new fibro buddies (my fibro brothers and sisters). May God give us 
hope for a healing, yet give us daily strength to endure the bodies that we have while we are waiting. 

Painting and poem 2006 (revised 2013)  By Expressive Praise                                                                                                                                                                                                                


For more information on these topics, check out these links:

The National Fibromyalgia Association 


But You Don't Look Sick 


National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases 


Note: the three links above are by other authors. They are not mine, I am just promoting them.


No comments:

Post a Comment