Monday, May 13, 2013

30 Things About My Invisible* Illness You May Not Know*


30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know

1. The illness and chronic problems I live with is: Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain Syndrome, Bilateral Anterior Displaced Menisci, Anterior dislocation of the Anterior (right) disc and Articular disc (left)/ Allergies/ Myofascial Pain Syndrome/ Arthritis in Jaw and Neck/ Visual Migraines/ / High ear sensitivity/ subject to regular Migraines, yet have Headaches 24 hours a day/7 days a week/ IBS, TMJ, Cervical Vertigo, stomach problems which makes it hard to eat many foods,, etc... There’s more, but I don't want to overwhelm you. ha-ha lol.

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2001, yet my symptoms started in 1995.

3. But I had symptoms since: 1995, symptoms started after a head injury and increased through the years.

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: (this one is a hard one because there are so many) Wearing ear plugs all the time/ Not being able to go places or do things that my friends are able to do. / The first time I said I am going to go to college and make something of myself; after I went for a couple of months, I had the head injury. I had to drop out for a little bit, and then only was able to take 2 classes at a time, and now...I am not able to do them as often./ Also not being able to go to church all the time is so hard.


5. Most people assume: that if I say that I am okay, then they think I am doing great and not in any pain.

6. The hardest part about mornings are
: Getting up...I have a hard time moving in the morning, like hard to walk / I have ‘fibro fog’/ digestion is messed up/ painful joints, muscles, skin, etc.../ try to wake up from a horrible night sleep of tossing and turning. (Before my injury and illness, I was a morning person and would be the first one up and ready to go)

7. My favorite medical TV show is: House

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my earplugs (everyday sounds are like a trumpet blowing in my ear) and also my sunglasses, have sensitivity to brightness.

9. The hardest part about nights is: Getting to sleep/staying asleep and tossing and turning.

10. Each day I take pills & vitamins: a bunch, but now, it's more vitamins then meds.

11. Regarding alternative treatments: I am having success with chiropractic although, I did try acupuncture and it caused severe muscle spasms throughout my body. (They say that doesn't usually happen)

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible one, I would choose: (that's hard to answer because I know that when I do have a brace on my arm, people sympathize with me, yet that brace I wear only at different times and that pain is no way near the pain I have daily. Also when I use my handicap card people kind of look at me different because they see me as someone who doesn't look like I have pain.) So yes I guess sometimes it would be nice that I would have a visible illness instead of an invisible one.

13. Regarding working and career: let's see, in 1995 had to stop working for a few months, then I did many years part time because pain was so bad, and then I had to stop working in 2001 because symptoms increased greatly.

14. People would be surprised to know: that there are times that I just need a hug and for people to actually be there for me when I really need it. (I have a couple of my friends who do, but a lot of people say they would do anything for me, but they disappear)

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: not being able to go to church all the time. I need that network or contact of friendly hugs. Facebook is great, but I so miss the human contact.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: hmm, I don't know. Maybe keep on going no matter what, encourage others who are going through tough times, and writing a book.

17. The commercials about my illness: within the last couple of years there are a few that has popped up about Fibromyalgia: Lyrica, etc...

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: singing in the church choir and just hanging out with my friends at any time of day.

19. It was really hard to have to give up: singing, working, and volunteering. I tried several times to sing, but with severe TMJ and headaches which lead to migraines, it’s kind of hard to do that. I tried throughout the years, but it just led to migraines and major muscle spasms in jaw. Not so much fun.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: drawing, painting, and making photo note cards

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: go to church, hang out with my friends, maybe go to a concert, and eat ice cream. Oh, buy a car and drive forever, I haven't been able to drive in awhile because of all the health and visual problems I have.

22. My illness has taught me: live minute to minute, trust in God, be my own advocate; keep standing up for what I believe in- if it's medical rights or God.

23. Want to know a secret?
I like encouraging cards and phone calls, just to say hi or being there for me, is so important.


24. But I love it when people
: (I do appreciate the ones who contact me on Facebook).

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: “Jesus wept" (John 11:35). Jesus had compassion for Lazarus; even though he knew he would raise Lazarus from the dead, he still wept. To me, that shows compassion.

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: I know what you are going through; if you need to talk or need prayer, contact me; stand up for yourself; set boundaries, and lean on God.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: I am learning that I can handle anything that comes my way and that God has brought me through so much.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: brought me dinner.

29. I’m involved with Fibromyalgia Awareness Month because: I know what people are going through.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: that you do care about me and what I go through.


No comments:

Post a Comment