Friday, July 10, 2015

Well, You don't look Sick

When people have asked how I'm doing, I used to tell them that I feel awful and am in pain which is probably not what they want to hear.  Most of their responses would be: "Well, you look good," or "Well,  you look nice, " or "Well, you don't look sick or in pain." I don't understand why they start the reply with the word  "well," but they did. I guess they expect people who look nice or seem to have it together to never have to deal with diseases, illnesses, or chronic pain.  If I had a dollar for every time someone said that "I Don't Look Sick" when I tell them I have fibromyalgia and other health issues, I would be rich.  I guess these certain ones expect me to be limping, shriveled, or in a wheelchair before they believe me. Maybe they are implying that only ugly, or unkept people are disabled. I disagree. I have seen some nice looking people who are disabled with a silent illness/disease that you can't tell by looking at them.

These days,  I try not to tell everyone how I'm doing unless they are really concerned and seem to care.  If someone asks how I'm doing, I may reply with "I'm okay." That's my way of saying, " I'm in pain, I don't feel well, yet I got up, got dressed, and made it out the door." MY MOTTO, this year, has been: "I MADE IT! "

I am here to tell you that fibromyalgia (fibro) is an invisible illness. You can't see it; you can't touch it and everyone who has it, doesn't all have the same intensities of pain and symptoms.  Some people may have a mild case of fibro, while others may have an extreme case, like I do. Some are able to work, yet some have too may intense symptoms and much debilitating pain that affects every aspect of their life. Some can have a pretty normal lifestyle yet others may have a hard time moving around or have low energy.

The greatest things you can do for someone with fibro is take them seriously, realize they aren't lying about all the crazy and intense pain and symptoms they experience, believe in them, and encourage them.  Most of all, be their friend or the loved one who really cares.

Feel free to share this post

And it's good  to join a fibromyalgia support group. 
You can join one at www.teensytidbits.blogspot.com on the home page

No comments:

Post a Comment