Sunday, January 17, 2010

Saying Goodbye*

I am saying goodbye to the American dream I once dreamed. The one where you have a husband, 2.3 kids, a home. The dream where you are a full-time mommy or have a full time job out of the house (or both). The American dream where you have enough finances to take care of your family, a vehicle, the housing expenses, and whatever else life throws at you. I am saying goodbye to good health and to wellness. This is the American Dream I have never experienced, and may never will. I am not saying goodbye to the fact it may never happen. I am saying goodbye for the losses in my life that I never knew in my past and I am opening the doors to new opportunities.

I say goodbye to my precious children I thought I would have many years ago. I say good bye to your laughter, the changing of your diapers, to the sleepless nights of hearing you cry for food or to be held. I say goodbye to bringing my newborn baby home with me. I say goodbye to seeing you as a baby grow into the toddler years. I say goodbye to watching you as you have your hands into everything, like the pots and pans you discovered in the lower cabinet. I say good bye to your giggles, to the new discoveries you would have found, and to all the endless hours I would have spent teaching you about life and God.

I say goodbye to the tears in your eyes that I would have wiped away or to the scrapes and cuts I would have kissed. I say goodbye to your tearful first day of school to your day of graduation. I say good bye to your accomplishments, talents, and fun you would have had.

I say goodbye to your teenage years. I say goodbye to the nights I would have felt your heartache of your broken relationships that you would have encountered. I say goodbye to helping with your homework night after night and also say goodbye to the times I would have had to discipline you. I say goodbye, my dear children for the love I would have given you and the love you would give me in return.

I say good bye to your joys, your sorrows, your happiness, your frustrations, your sadness, and your excitements, my dear little ones, that you would have experienced. I say goodbye to you my dear children.

I say goodbye to the husband of my younger years. I say goodbye to the wedding I thought I would plan and even to the honeymoon you might have planned. I say goodbye to the times we would get to know each other and I say goodbye to even the frustrations of marriage. I say goodbye to the countless years we would have spent together loving each other and worshipping God together. I say goodbye to the arguments, joys, disappointments, excitements, and the frustrations we would have experienced together over and over again. I say goodbye to you as a godly father to my children and a godly husband to me. I say goodbye to your love, your friendship, and to the nights you would have slept by my side. I say goodbye to the times you would be at work when I wished you were at home and I say goodbye to the times you were at home and I wished you were at work. I say goodbye to our love. I say goodbye, my dear husband.

I say goodbye to good health. I say goodbye to all the years I would have not spent at the doctors office. I say goodbye to energy, pain free days, great health, and wellness. I say goodbye to feeling well, vibrant, and healthy. I say goodbye to good health.

As I have written my goodbyes, I say hello to more opportunities that God will give me and I will experience. I had to say goodbye to the American Dream that has made me sorrowful for many years of not experiencing it. I say goodbye to the American dream that people have lived if they liked it or not. I say goodbye. I look forward to the things in life that may change my life forever. I look forward to the time of spending more time with God. I look forward to the hopes and new dreams that God puts on my heart. I look forward...

5 comments:

  1. Brenda Slone1/18/10, 8:39 PM

    Tanya..I found this to be very moving and touching. I think we all sometimes have to say goodbye to dreams or goals. It can be very diffiicult because it can be a lifelong dream. But as difficult as it is, it is important to sometimes say goodbye or let them go, so you can be open to what God really has for your life. It may be different to what your original dream was, but His plan will always be perfect for your life. I think this took alot of strength for you to do this and also write about it. You are an amazing woman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara Acosta1/18/10, 8:40 PM

    What is a .3 child?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark Sheppard1/18/10, 8:42 PM

    all too often, we (including me big time) confuse the material blessings of work for the American Dream, which I take to be opportunity to work for oneself, if you are able. The whole nuclear family with 2.5 kids and a white picket fence works for some, but unfortunately is used as a straitjacket for the rest of us.

    Be of good cheer, I share some of your pessimism about how realistically one can expect to improve their socio-economic standing, but at least we are still free to lead relatively decent lives, and still enjoy advances and comforts that are the envy to the rest of the world (just look at what an earthquake did to Haiti, which was no bigger than the quake that hit the Bay Area in 1989).

    Don't think that i question whether you have good reason to think and write what you do, I know you do. I'm just trying to show what glints of light there are yet still out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TanyaMae,
    My dear daughter,this broke my heart.
    I am sorry that you did not get to experience these things,
    I am sorry that you have had to experience all of the pain in your life and the disappointments.
    I know you are saying good-bye as you say hello to new experiences.

    I heard a sermon today that said when we are in the darkness,it takes as long as it does for us to get what God wants us to do or be in life and then God rescues us and has something far better for us than we could ever imagine.

    Your time is coming and when it does it will be just what you need and not what we all think you need.
    God loves you and hears your heart,you have waited along time for victory,victory is on the way,God is coming with your answer.

    I dont know how or what it will be but it is on its way,
    Dont give up you are on the brink of a miracle,it is coming I feel it in my soul,
    God is coming Tanya,get ready, here He comes!
    I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted!!!! This was very inspirational to me. I love you.

    ReplyDelete